Dr. Wilkinson, Dr. Andrews and our Lockerby Animal Hospital team strongly feel that the physical examination of your animals is the most important diagnostic test that can be performed to benefit your pet’s health. Regardless of whether a patient is visiting our animal hospital for a vaccination or an emergency health issue, a thorough exam is essential to quality medicine, and something we pride ourselves on doing well here at Lockerby Animal Hospital. We recommend a physical examination be performed at least once a year for all pets, regardless of their lifestyle.
In brief, a physical examination is a “stem to stern” physical check up of all your pet’s body systems. Assessments include:
- oral assessment
- upper respiratory assessment
- eye assessment
- ear and ear canal examination
- palpation (feeling) of all external lymph nodes
- auscultation (listening) to the heart and lungs
- palpation of the abdomen
- assessment of the skin
- assessment of the musculoskeletal system (muscles, joints and bones)
- temperature, pulse, and respirations
- body weight and Body Condition Scoring
A thorough physical examination can provide a wealth of information about your pet’s health, and as they can’t describe their symptoms, this is the foundation on which all further diagnostic recommendations are made!