Internal parasite infections can create a range of health conditions for your pet. Some can be addressed quickly, whereas others can be difficult and painful to treat, impacting your pet’s quality of life. Regular deworming helps eliminate worms as well as decrease the negative impacts these infections could cause.
How serious are parasite infections?
Depending on your pet’s age, overall health and parasite they’re infected with, infections can be more detrimental. Puppies and kittens are especially susceptible to parasite infections. Though most parasite infections aren’t fatal, they can still have a lasting impact on your pet’s internal systems. Internal worms live in and feed often off of your pet’s intestinal tract, depleting vital nutrients and blood. If you notice your pet is losing weight rapidly, is scooting, is low on energy or has diarrhea, these are all signs of a parasite infection. Please contact us at 705-522-4555 so we can help diagnose and treat your pet.
What types of worms cause internal infections?
The most common worms that cause infections include roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, whipworms, and heartworms. They can affect your pet in the following ways:
- Roundworms – stunts pet growth and cause gastrointestinal issues
- Tapeworms – create intestinal blockages that manifest as scooting
- Hookworms – cause severe anemia
- Whipworms – cause severe irritation in the large intestine
- Heartworms – cause life-threatening damage to the heart and lungs
How does deworming help?
The purpose of deworming is to remove internal worms. The medication is available in a few forms, like an oral tablet, which can be disguised in some of your pet’s favourite foods to help them ingest it more easily. After your pet takes the medication, you could notice worms in your pet’s feces for the next few days. Don’t be alarmed. This means the deworming process is working and the parasites are being evicted from your pet’s body.