Pain Management and Control
Nothing breaks your heart more than seeing your pet in pain. Each pet will respond to pain differently with many being very stoic and not exhibiting any signs of pain until they are in extreme discomfort. At Lockerby Animal Hospital, we will work with you to provide the best quality of life possible for your pet through reduction of their pain.
Sometimes pain may be acute, with a sudden onset or may be chronic, developing slowly over time. In the case of surgery, the pain will exist until healing is complete. All patients seen at Lockerby Animal Hospital for elective and non-elective surgical procedures will receive pain management before, during and after surgery. With other conditions, such as arthritis, pain may be more chronic and last over a long period of time. Our veterinarian will help your pet manage his or her pain to minimize any discomfort and maximize quality of life.
Recognizing Pain in Your Pet
- Prefers lying to sitting or standing; abnormal position while sitting or resting
- Shifting position frequently, restless
- Panting excessively
- Being more quiet than usual, withdrawn or more aggressive-tries to bite when handled
- Change in appetite
- No longer able to do the things he/she used to; reluctant to go for walks or climb stairs; lagging behind or tiring easily during walks
- Stiffness, especially after resting, or trouble getting up from a laying or seated position
- Licking or chewing in one area
If you have answered yes to one or more of the above questions, please feel free to contact Lockerby Animal Hospital for an assessment of your pet to assess if he/she is in pain and what would be the best course of action.