Halloween is such a fun time of year but it does require some extra caution for pets. Here are six tips to keep your pet safe this Halloween:
- Keep your pet away from chocolate and treats containing Xylitol, found in sugar free treats. Chocolate contains theobromine which can cause produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack in pets. Hill’s has a great article on why chocolate is bad for dogs. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity According to the Pet Poison Hotline, even seemingly small amounts of a product with xylitol can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure. For more information click here
- Watch pets around open doors so they don’t get out unnoticed. The opening and closing of the door for trick or treaters provides the perfect opportunity for your pet to escape your house. Either leash your pet, have one family member hold them or remove them to another room any time the door will be open. Always ensure your pet has a form of identification such as a tag with phone number or a microchip so they can easily be returned to you if found.
- If your dog is fearful, put them in another room away from children. The last thing anyone would want is for their pet to bite a child. Some dogs are very fearful and may become highly stressed at the sight of costumes, the doorbell constantly ringing, strangers at their house and may act out.
- Don’t leave your pet out in the yard alone. Many people are on the streets and it could be a perfect opportunity for someone to steal a pet. People may also tease a pet causing the pet to act out or give the pet dangerous treats such as chocolate or xylitol.
- If you dress your pet up in a costume, make sure it is safe. Ensure there are no small pieces that can be a choking hazard. Also, make sure the costume is not to tight or cutting off circulation and it is comfortable for your pet. If your pet becomes too stressed, it’s best to remove the costume.
- Watch your pet around glow sticks and candles. Flameless candles are a great choice for Halloween pumpkins and decorations. Glow sticks are very bitter tasting and will be very unpleasant for your pet.